Copies of most documents filed January 1997 to present have been scanned and are available on-line through the PACER System. If you are unable to find case records on-line, they may be available from the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). The NARA is comprised of two divisions, the first being the Federal Records Center (FRC), responsible for the records having been filed from approximately 1995-2002. The second division is the Archive Unit, which is responsible for records prior to 1995.
For most case documents not available on PACER, you may request certified or uncertified photocopies of selected documents or the entire case file directly from Federal Records Center. Most case records filed prior to 1995 are not available at the Federal Records Center. For these records please contact the Archive Unit of the NARA directly for instructions on obtaining copies.
Federal Records Center (FRC)
If you need to retrieve a case file, you will need to provide the accession, location and box numbers to the FRC. This information may be obtained two ways. Query the case in PACER if you have an account; then select "Case File Location". You may also call the court's Closed Records Unit at (504) 589-7674 for assistance.
Ordering archived files from the FRC:
Visit The National Archives
- Select "Order Reproductions"
- Under Record Reproductions select "Court Records"
- Choose a civil or criminal case
- Select the item you wish to order
- Select delivery format and Add to Cart
- You will need to register for a free account. If you already have an account you will need to log in
- Enter archive numbers provided by the district court
- Proceed with payment
Alternatively, you can request records through our Closed Records Unit, (504) 589-7674. The cost is $64 for the first box and $39 for each additional box. Payment may be by credit card, or check payable to "Clerk, U.S. District Court".
Please follow the court’s guidelines below when ordering records through the Closed Records Unit.
- Payment must be submitted first before we can order the file.
- Shipments have an estimated arrival time of 5 to 10 days (Shipments are directed to our court house in New Orleans)
- The Closed Records Unit will notify you when the file arrives at the court house (provide a telephone number and /or e-mail)
- Once you have been notified of the availability of the file you must come to the courthouse and review the documents.
- We then quote you based on the page count. Photocopies are charged at $0.50 per page. Certifications are charged at $11.00 per document.
NARA Archive Unit
Depending on the case status, some cases from 1995 and prior might be housed in the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). Microfiche and Microfilm are no longer available through our Records Unit. Effective May 2013 microfiche and microfilm requests need to be submitted through the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). Please contact NARA at (817) 551-2051, via e-mail: email@example.com.